Shorts (part 1)

She wipes the thick layer of makeup away from her eyes in long smeared drags. The lights from the cheap dressing room mirror cast yellow-toothed shadows across her freshly uncovered skin. It looks gray and cracked compared to the bright white of the pancake. The costume jewels lie like deliberate monoliths around the perimeter of a stained and half-filled ashtray. Tall skinny fingers of smoke grasp at the heavens only to be swirled to nothingness by the noisy ceiling fan with the bad bearing. She tries not to look too closely at the blooming wrinkles around her eyes. She wills herself not to rub her feet. She won't even unwrap them here amongst the piles of discarded costumes and frilly dresses. She has some dignity left. She will wait until she is safe in her tiny apartment with the broken tile in the bathroom to survey tonight's damage. She slips her arms gingerly into the stained gray trench coat of her father's long ago, and bundles it in tightly to her waist with a dramatic tug on the belt.

It's not until she opens the door that she hears the rain. It rolls in thick streams off the soffits and tumbles in torrents along the rusting grid work of the fire-escapes overhead. Just down the alley, the rush of traffic scatters newborn puddles every which way, before they even have a chance to sparkle in the light of the running marquee. She draws the collar up tight and sets off into the night, limping in a way that advertises her exhaustion but belies her strength.

11 comments

Anonymous said...

Well now I'm just curious, damn it! ~OM

Kurt said...

It all stems from needing to use the word "soffits". She's incidental as far as I'm concerned. :) Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you were serious about that:p I don't buy it! She has dignity and her fathers old coat. I think she matters.

But who the hell am I?! ~OM

Kurt said...

I really like that she wears her Dad's coat. But I don't know anything else about her really. I do like her. She's a badass, I think.

You are INFINITY COCKS !!!! cocks...cocks...cocks<---echo

Sungodly said...

Tough chick, definitely. Nice imagery, as per usual. You're making this a habit.

Anonymous said...

I bet she can go from pout to snear in a flash!

That's never NOT going to be hilarious:D ~OM

Kurt said...

@Sungodly: Thanks to you, kind sir.
I bet you could take her though. Sweep the leg!!

Anonymous said...

Damn. Now I'm going to have to give the girls bigger tips to compensate for that sappy ass image you've left in my head.

Kurt said...

@floyd: Heh. I didn't mean to imply she was a stripper. Did you?

Mandy_Fish said...

You forgot to add the part at the end where it turns out she's a sheep or pig or a goat or something.

WTF.

Char said...

LOL lordy - I wrote something similar this week. though not half as good